Thursday, May 31, 2007

From Thermopylae to Dune

Today was my "full" day of classes. From 8:15 to the unforgiving time of approximately 5:30 I had lab I was in class (with an exception of a 45 minute lunch break of course). I do not mind the Physics so much as I do the Calculus. If I can make it past this Cal II class I will have little to worry about in future academic endeavors.

I managed to finish my lab early, so I paid her father a visit. He is a great man. I am glad that we get to have these visits, and I am sure he enjoys the company. We talk about so much. Maybe she never really tried to talk to him, she said that she has, but the way he speaks seems to prove otherwise. I do not know which story to be believe on the lack of communication between the two, but I do know that he has a lot on his mind. He loves his daughter so much and only wants the best for her. There are times when I wonder if she knows how much he cares about her.

We watched a bit of Dune, some BMX competition, and all the while managed to ramble on about life and our thoughts of movies. Ha, he has similar taste in films as I do which I find very surprising. Then we transitioned to more personal topics like the topic of my nephew, his concerns about his daughter's well-being, his siblings, his attempt at Western Civ in college, and so-forth. He agreed with me on the importance of family which gave me hope that I was not alone in my belief.

I hope to make our conversations a weekly habit. We get to talk about a lot of random topics. I feel bad though because I know he probably doesn't see people that often. I wish I could visit more frequently, but I think only Thursdays will have to suffice. Even if she never wants to talk to me again I would still like to visit her father. I admire him so much for what he has went through and dealt with during his lifetime.

Right after my visit I had to hurry home and get dressed for soccer practice. We lost two of our newer players to summer school classes that they couldn't avoid during the time of the tournament. Pity. They were very talented. I believe our coach has already attempted to find two more players to fill their spots. This weekend we have to do several fund raisers to pay for all of our tournament neccessities. The target goal is three-thousand dollars. I find this slightly too optimistic for a handful of people to obtain. If we make it to Finals then we have a year to raise forty-thousand according to our coach. Once again, he is expecting too much. Another problem arises with the thought of Finals as well. If they are next year then I may or may not be able to participate seeing as I am currently 19 and this is a 19 and under team. Logically I would still be able to play since I joined last fall, but I have seen stranger things happen...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i guess it's a good thing that you can talk to him.... just be careful... and for the love of God, pretend i died or something